Monday, January 2, 2012

Biscuits, Part Deux


I'm in no danger of becoming a great photographer so I've finally given in and started using #2's iPod to get quick pictures without a lot of fuss.  It gets even better now that I've figured out how to e-mail the pictures directly from the iPod to the blog.  Maybe someday I'll get a great camera but in the meantime the shoot and send thing is working. 

So...

Here's the biscuit recipe.  I think I posted it once before but I'm such a lazy blogger I'm just going to do it again and be done with it.  Many thanks to Betty Crocker and my dear mom for many breakfasts of delicious flaky goodies.

Makes about 15 1.5 inch biscuits

2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons kosher salt (or 1 teaspoon table salt)
4 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup buttermilk

  • Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment or a spray of cooking spray.
  • Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. 
  • Cut the butter into small pieces and cut it into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter, two knives or your fingers.
  • Mix in the buttermilk until just blended then turn out onto a floured board or counter.
  • Knead lightly until the dough just comes together then pat out about 1 inch thick.
  • Cut into rounds with a biscuit or cookie cutter and place on the prepared cookie sheet about an inch apart.
  • Bake for 10-14 minutes, depending on your oven, until golden brown.
  • Serve with LOTS of butter, jelly or sausage gravy.
I'm not going to lie - I've been known to make the dough in the food processor but honestly, the texture is so much better when you cut the butter in by hand that I try not to.  Another thing to note is that the better the butter (think Plugra or Kerrygold) the better the biscuit but Land O Lakes works just fine if that's what you have.

Oh, and you can add cheese if you want to.  About half a cup of good cheddar works great and they're even better if you add a pinch of cayenne or chipotle pepper. 

No comments: